Re: mail notification

2003-02-03 10:44:03
On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Chris Bannister wrote:

Hi,

Since I have installed procmail on my Debian system when I log in
it says I have no mail. I have added "biff y" to my .bash_profile
... nothing.

Do I have to put anything in .procmailrc for this to work.

Also is it possible to search the archives of this list via
email?

I thought this would be a common problem and would be in the FAQ.

Also can anyone point to some good links on procmail for beginners.

    There is a book "The Procmail Companion" by Martin McCarthy.

    However, follow this steps (keep the order):

    1>  Read the egrep man page - you must feel familiar with it.

    2>  Scan and browse the man pages.  But, do NOT "read it" (also, skip
        on the procmailsc man page).

    3>  Go to NMTG web site: http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
        It is very clear and easy to read!  She will lead you to yours first
        working rcfile and recipes.

    4>  Back to the procmailex man page and READ - examine the flags against
        the procmailrc man.

    5>  Sean B. Straw (Professional) has good site with a little glossary
        for acronyms that you MUST know if you read this mailinglist and FAQ.
        http://www.professional.org/procmail/disclaimer.html   Also, see his
        sendbox  which explain and build a test environment to check rcfiles!
        http://www.professional.org/procmail/sandbox.html

    6>  Read the FAQ.

    7>  Read the procmailsc man page.

        Don't panic!  After step #3 you will be able to keep your
        head on the water (;-)

Bye,
 Udi