Re: [PROCMAIL] Re: converting Unicode

2003-02-05 01:03:48
On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 09:50:03AM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Ralph Müller <rmue(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de> [02-01-03 08:32]:
Hi all,

who knows how to convert unicode characters?
(Because my MUA mutt can't display it.)

:0 f
|    ?

Upgrade your version of mutt.  The latest stable is 1.4.i and the latest
rc is 1.5.3i.  I believe unicode is included.

not that it's a bad idea, but upgrading mutt does not guarantee utf-8
will work. (you assumed that an upgrade was needed, not necessarily
the case.)  even if you install the latest ncurses (5.2+ required,
unicode support is still classified 'experimental' in 5.3), correctly
set your locale and rebuild mutt, you may still find yourself looking
at mucked-up mails.  the mutt docs give a somewhat complicated
workaround with the caveat that it too may fail.

the problem with any procmail-based 'search-and-replace' approach is
going to be that octal codes tend to be interpreted in an editor, so
that while a character may look like "\342\200\231" in your viewer
(e.g., mutt), it looks like ' to the editor.

mp

--
  Michael Powe                                 Waterbury, CT USA