Re: New User: Locking file issue and other bits

2003-02-05 03:48:32
On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 05:35 PM, Roland Hill wrote:
Having a /etc/procmail/.procmailrc file did not seem to work

/etc/procmailrc is the file.

- Phase 1 of plan: "Drop" mail in /var/spool/mail/<user>

A typical .procmailrc file I created:

PMDIR=/etc/procmail
LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail.log
LOG="
"
##VERBOSE=yes
##LOGABSTRACT=no
MAILDIR=$HOME/evolution
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.daddy
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.logan

Filters used for testing (not used concurrently, included in the rc.daddy file):

#Red Hat filter 1 NEW
:0:
* ^Subject:.*Redhat
/var/spool/mail/roland

#Red Hat filter 2 EXISTING
:0
        | formail -A "X-Loop: seenit6" | \
            $SENDMAIL -oi roland(_at_)monaro(_dot_)local

At the moment I forward the message (see EXISTING recipe) and use a formail script(?) to stop mail loops. This does not seem efficient. But as I found out tonight this was my work-around because I had lockfile errors when the NEW recipe was used - as follows:

procmail: Lock failure on "/var/spool/mail/roland.lock"
procmail: Error while writing to "/var/spool/mail/roland"

This is probably because the procmail is not running as roland and so doesn't have permissions to write to /var/spool/mail/roland

chown root.mail /var/spool/mail
chmod 775 /var/spool/mail

This didn't work.

If I chmod 666 /var/spool/mail/roland then the "Error while writing..." disappears, the "Lock failure on...." stays, BUT the message is delivered as per the recipe.

procmail is trying to create a lockfile in /var/spool/mail and does not have permission to do so.

I read that 666 should be used with care. Have I done the correct thing?

I don't think so, but I don't know about your specific setup with email. I will say that using a single email address and then using procmail to try to split that to multiple users is ugly and tricky at best. If your isp only allows one POP/IMAP user, consider finding another ISP. Or, you could use a service like www.dyndns.org to register a virtual domain and then have as many users as you want.

roland(_at_)roland(_dot_)is-a-geek(_dot_)com, for example. the is-a-geek.com domain is one of my favorite ones, and far less crowded than homeip.net or something.

Can someone help me solve how to remove the lock file error? I haven't found an answer yet (that I understand), even searched the procmail archives prior to posting.

you would have to make /var/spool/mail world writable. I think that would be a VeryBadIdea.

--
Growing up leads to growing old, and then to dying/And dying to me don't sound like all that much fun.