Re: spammer domains

2003-02-06 14:14:34
At 12:15 2003-02-06 -0600, Stephen R. Wilcoxon wrote:
Not exactly procmail related, but this is the only list I'm on that touches
on this.  Has anyone ever received valid email from the below domains?  In
the last couple of months, I've received 25+ emails from the domains (all
of them spam).  I'm very tempted to simply dump any emails from any of
these domains.

If they're _spammed_ you, dump 'em. Why should it really matter if anyone else has received valid email or not?

Also, there are places you can check to see if a domain is involved in spamming. Check usenet news.admin.net-abuse.sightings (search deja^H^H^H^HGoogle groups for "abuse somedomain" for instance), and various blacklist databases (<http://www.dsbl.org/> being one, and <http://relays.osirusoft.com/cgi-bin/rbcheck.cgi> being another), though most dnsbl lookups rely upon the IP address (you'll need to resolve multiple addresses in many cases).

Wotch is a problematic spammer - the operator claims he's doing things to combat spam, but those in the know realize he's just spouting BS while he operates his domain for commercial UCE.

subdimension.com operates an anonymizer which is abused by spammers.  Read up:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=3E3C08BD.2BED4529%40isvestiya.com&rnum=5&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dnews.admin%2Babuse%2Bsubdimension.com%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dd%26selm%3D3E3C08BD.2BED4529%2540isvestiya.com%26rnum%3D5>. Otherwise, AFAIK, they operate mail services for legit users as well. Their entry in dsbl.org: <http://www.dsbl.org/listing.php?ip=65.86.17.254>, also check the osirus rblcheck - that lists them in two dnsbls currently (one specifically because of the open web relay).

All the other domains you listed have that "spammish" sound to them, and if I received any crap from any of them, I wouldn't hesitate to block them via SMTP (where I choose to block as much generic crap as possible, rather than filtering it out _after_ it's been accepted by my servers).