Re: Newbie needs help

2003-02-06 20:36:11
Paul asked,

| 1)  Why is there a "[  ]" after the colons?  I didn't see them in previous
| posts and am curious what they do.

Although it may have come through as something else by the time you received
it (it regularly shows up in my email with just a space between the brackets),
if you see it on this list, the brackets should enclose a space and a tab.
It's a character class consisting of space and tab.

| 2)  Why is the dollar sign inserted in two of the lines.  Is it to notify
| procmail that there is a user-defined "variable" in the line?

That's very close.  It's to tell procmail to substitute dollar-signed
variables with their values and backquoted commands with their stdout before
interpreting the regexp.  Otherwise dollar signs will be taken to represent
embedded newlines and accents graves will be taken literally.