RE: Password AutoResponder

2003-02-07 13:25:58
On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Eric Hilding wrote:

EH> Can you explain what your "password autoresponder" is all about?  This
EH> sounds like it may be something of interest.
EH>
EH> Thanks much.
EH>
EH> Eric

An email is sent to me.  If the address in the from: field is not in my
"whitelist" database of OK people, then the autoresponder will respond
with an explanation, asking the sender to reply with the password in the
subject field.  The subject already contains "(password is sausage??rocks
- please remove the question marks)".  Once the password has been
received, the sender is put in the whitelist and recent mail moved to my
mailbox.

As you can see below, this has developed a bit further so that if you
reply to the pass-through address, you are automatically whitelisted.

Had I replied to you personally, I would have filtered the outgoing
message so that your email address was added to the whitelist.  But I
didn't in case you wanted to see the responder in action - email me at
lists@

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list. Personal
  email is welcome but may invoke a password autoresponder - the
  current pass-through address is alan+1@  )