Re: [OT??]: digest mode, was: web-based fora vs. mailing lists

2003-02-16 15:15:04
On Sunday, Feb 16, 2003, at 13:07 Canada/Mountain, M. Fioretti wrote:
On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 12:35:38 at 12:35:38PM -0600, David W. Tamkin (dattier(_at_)panix(_dot_)com) wrote:
Tyler listed pros and cons to both, and among the advantages of web-based
fora, he included,

C> 1. Your inbox doesn't get clobbered by list traffic.

That's what digest mode is intended to relieve.

I must be particularly thick on this, but I have never been able to
see the point of digest mode, and of the assertion above.

Neither have I.

As far as I understand, digests are not compressed, or are they?

Nope.

If a list generates one message per day, I'll have to read one
message per day. If it generates 100, I'll have to read 100,
regardless if they show as "one message" or "100 messages" in the
mailbox.

So, what is the gain?

Some people seem to have a mental block about the NUMBER of emails as oopsed to the VOLUME of mail to read. With Digest mode they can deal with all the list mail at once, and not worry about it again for 24 hours (or whatever). Personally, I hate Digest mode, although MIME-Digests are not that bad (they are exceedingly rare, however)

Or maybe for some people seeing "1 message, 10000 lines long" is less overwhelming than "100 messages,
each 100 lines long"?

That seems to be the crux right there. Personally, I think these are often the same people who don't use folders to sort their mail, and would rather have 1 200K message in their INBOX than 20 10K messages.

(not to mention the fact that digest mode facilitates one of the most
irritating, time wasting problems on mailing lists, unless the
digest subscriber is really disciplined: the lists gets *very* long
messages with ***totally*** uninformative subjects and content 95%
irrelevant)

Or endless threads with the Subject of "Re: Digest #8997"

What do you think?

That you're preaching to the choir.

:)

--
MEGAHAL: within my penguin lies a torrid story of hate and love.