Re: Unsubscribe me Please!!!!!!

2003-02-16 21:52:45
On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 11:01:51PM -0500, Charlie Summers wrote:
At 9:43 PM -0500 2/16/03, Cliff Sarginson is rumored to have typed:

No, but being pragmatic, and to avoid crazyness arising, it may be a
good idea to put it explicitly in the footer of the message.

   Horsepucky. The reason these morons keep asking to be unsubscribed on
every mailing list is because they are coddled to death on every mailing
list. Headers, footers, subject munges, and the other nonsense listowners use
to coddle mailing list subscribers does nothing to teach, and instead
encourages their ignorance.

   I sometimes miss the good old days when the unwashed wasn't here; back
then, if someone were stupid enough to send an unsubscribe to the entire
list, the entire list would, one soul at a time, send them over-long
instructions on how to get themselves unsubscribed, hopefully smashing their
mailbox and getting their administrator's attention.

   Now we just suggest we should waste the bandwidth in every message telling
the entire subscribership how to unsubscribe, ignoring that 99% of the
subscribership doesn't NEED the reminder, only a small percentage of the
clueless.

Rather than reacting to the intolerant garbage above, I would point out
that on every posting there are two lines of redundant information
posted. These lines say the name of the mailing list I have just sent
mail to and the mail address of the mailing I have just sent mail to. Is
this just in case I forget the address of the mailing list I have just
sent mail to ? Come on. These two lines could very usefully be removed,
and possibly be replaced by one line saying how to unsubscribe. There,
one line removed, saving all that precious bandwidth..and sparing all
the rantings from the mailing-list fascists...a sad phenomenon
demonstrated by sad people...who still think it's clever to refer to
people new to this list or any list as "the great unwashed".

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson