Re: QPOPPER SENDMAIL/PROCMAIL: AND NFS

2003-03-02 18:19:41
On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Kenneth Porter wrote:

That sounds backwards. Have all mail delivered to a hub, which then
delivers it to multiple machines running POP3 and IMAP services.

Perhaps you could post info explaining your motivation for wanting such a
beast?

    Not sure who this was directed at but since I posted the original
request here is our situation.

    sendmail and qpopper exist on same machine.

    The machine is being flooded by spam etc driving load
high.  This affects perceived responsiveness of popper.

    I would like to spread the incoming mail load across many
incoming mail servers, and yet have all of it go to one pop server
since the demands of reading mail are insignificant compared to
the demands of dealing with incoming connections and filtering
the spam.

    Maybe I got this backwards, maybe 100's of sendmail's driving my load
to 40 and a few poppers driving it to 1 or 2 is my mis configuration error
:)

    POint is that most incoming e-mail is spam and cpu and connection
resources dealing with the spammers and their spam is many times what
is necessary to read the valid e-mail that is finally delivered to
quiet and well behaved mailboxes.

    Homer