Re: OT plagiarism

2003-03-04 21:14:31
This will be my last comment on this thread on this list.

but saying
that a certain fiction or music genre is evil or meaningless by
definition maybe is not the best approach. What about "any literature
written/published just to sell something will be tailored to the
dumbest/mentally laziest  customers, anything coming from hearth will
be written, and if it also sells good, all the better"?
Ciao,
Marco Fioretti

Remember that the point about fantasy was taken out of a larger piece. I was
talking about the cartoon like reduction of much fantasy characterization to
Daredevil like simplicity. A steady diet of supernatural powers as a means
of combating evil doesn't teach children to draw on the resources of their
inner strength to resist temptation and fight the desire to do wrong that
often comes from within. If all evil is externalized into cardboard cutout
enemies, we miss teaching how to deal with our own internal conflicts of
emotions and how to resolve them in in a manner which maintains integrity
and self restraint. Classic literature often provides a deeper glimpse into
the complexity of human emotions and the struggles even the good must face
when dealings with challenges and selfish desire.

Jeff