Re: Rewriting From:

2003-03-05 15:38:44
On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

AMK>     I have the address 'websmith(_at_)pcraft(_dot_)com' aliased to my own
email, so
AMK> that everything send to that address comes to me.  In my recipe I have
AMK> the following snippet:
AMK>
AMK> :0 h c
AMK>     * ^TO_websmith(_at_)pcraft(_dot_)com
AMK>     * !^FROM_DAEMON
AMK>     | (formail -r -I"Precedence: junk" \
AMK>        -A"X-Loop: websmith(_at_)pcraft(_dot_)com" ; \
AMK>        cat /etc/webmaster.msg) | $SENDMAIL -t
AMK>
AMK>     This works, in that it sends 'webmaster.msg' back to the original
AMK> sender.  However, the message goes out with the From: line being me
AMK> which has been throwing some people off (after all, they emailed
AMK> 'websmith', not me.)  Is there a way I can make it send the message out
AMK> with the From: being websmith(_at_)pcraft(_dot_)com?
AMK>
AMK>

     | (formail -r -I"Precedence: junk" \
       -I"From: websmith(_at_)pcraft(_dot_)com" ; \
       -A"X-Loop: websmith(_at_)pcraft(_dot_)com" ; \

Also, I use formail -rt

You should put in more loop checking.  ISP's seem to be particulary bad at
daemons without loop checking, viz.  Spam from chief executive of ISP;
you autorepespond;  they autorespond from the same address with no
indication that it is a daemon and they have striped off your x-loop as
well;  you autorespond ....

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list. Personal
  email is welcome but may invoke a password autoresponder - the
  current pass-through address is alan+1@  )