setting up an *opt-out* big brother

2003-03-20 01:32:58
I'm also working on a "Big Brother" scenario but it's for
archiving and users know its happening and can opt-out by using a
header like this

My first thought was to put a recipe like this at the top of
/etc/procmailrc

 :0 c
 * ! ^X-ExampleCom-Archive:.*no
 ! archiver(_at_)example(_dot_)com

and then the archiver account would be set up with its own
~archiver/.procmailrc that will extract data and put it in a
mysql database, deliver the message to appropriate IMAP shared
mailboxes, etc.

But, I'm mulling over the prospect of *loops* and *duplicates*
and wondering what the best way to deal with those are. Do I
simply implement the X-Loop and duplicate-catching examples that
are in the man pages? Or is there a better way?

Also, I'm wondering if it might be better to do something in
sendmail (which is the MTA this system is using) so that all
messages that are delivered to this system are also automatically
delivered to the archiver account and then the archiver account
can ignore any message that has the 'X-ExampleCom-Archive: no'
header.

All my experience with Procmail so far is as a regular user. This
is my first foray into the world of using an /etc/procmailrc so
I'm being extra cautious.

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom (or just random thoughts!),
Thanks,
Nancy

--
       PROCMAIL  <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/>