Re: holy benchmarks, Batman

2003-03-31 15:46:13
On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, Jeff Orrok wrote:

JO> I was horrified to discover that it was taking almost 8 minutes to
JO> process 8 messages

JO> So can anyone point me in the direction of some performance analysis
JO> utilities that I can use to track down my problem?

You put

LOG="test marker 1 "
LOG=`date`
LOG="

LOG="test marker 2 "
LOG=`date`
LOG="
"

at 3 inch intervals in your rc files and then examine the log file to see
what area is taking the time.

grep -A 1 -ie "test marker" log

should extract the times or you could automate the calculation in your rc
file.

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list. Personal
  email is welcome but may invoke a password autoresponder - the
  current pass-through address is alan+1@  )