Re: Recipe woes

2003-05-28 13:14:21
Howdy Don.  Thanks for the reply.

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Don Hammond wrote:

My script encapsulates the headers and body of the original message in
a MIME message/rfc822 attachment, adds appropriate MIME-Version: and
of the message. AFAICT, this protects MIME parts in the message as
originally delivered. I've done enough testing with different mail
clients to believe it works, though not enough to represent it as
bulletproof.  I did not research any RFCs to make sure this was the
proper way to do this, but used DSNs as templates.

Oh hell.  I never thought about MIME.  That does present a problem.
Attachments aren't an option.  uce(_at_)ftc(_dot_)gov doesn't accept (or at
least
doesn't want) attachments.  I can't say for certain but I'd say that Bob
the NANAS Bot also doesn't want attachments.  Everything I send needs to
be quoted inline.  I must admit I'm fairly MIME-illiterate as well.  If
the message is an HTML message, I'd like to just quote the HTML source and
headers inline for forwarding on to the FTC.

Perhaps I can best explain it by describing what I do when I get spam.  I
do all this in Pine BTW.  If the message is just plain text then I turn on
full headers and simply 'forward' the message to all the appropriate abuse
depts.  If the message is HTML spam then I turn on full headers and
'export' the message to a file.  That export contains all the headers and
all the HTML.  I then start a new message addresses to all the abuse@
folks with the appropriate Subject.  I then 'insert' the exported file
into the body of the new message right below anything I typed.  This
quotes the headers and HTML source.  Back when I was doing this
religiously I never had to LART a piece of spam that used an attached
image.  I lucked out I guess.  If I was going to LART that though I'd
treat it just like the HTML spam:  export it to file and import it into a
new message.

Being MIME-illiterate, would doing the same thing in a procmail rule cause
MIME issues?

If you'd like to see the script, mail me and I'll be happy to send it to
you.  As is, it requires the user to be one of sendmail's trusted
users because it uses sendmail -f to change the envelope sender. It may
give you some ideas that could help your procmail implementation, or it
may be adaptable to your needs to be executed from your procmail rcfile.

Sure.  I'd love to see it.  It might be just what I need.

Thanks
 Justin