Re: OT: Help wanted learning Regular Expressions

2003-06-30 09:22:54
On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 08:54:50AM -0400, thus Lee Hoffner spoke:
I have trouble understanding the way regular expressions work, and even more
trouble understanding Procmail's particular variations on regexp's. The one
text I have been able to find (The Procmail Companion) assumes familiarity
with regular expressions and builds from there.

So, I guess I really need to understand these first, before I will be able to
fully understand Procmail (or do any kind of heavy duty script writing
involving text manipulation, for that matter...) Can anyone recommend a good,
approachable beginner's text on the subject of regular expression, possibly
with sample learning projects?

Thank you!

---end quoted text---

Your best bet is practice and this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596002890/qid=1056989728/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-7204875-4848747?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

(Mastering Regular Expressions, Second Edition
by Jeffrey, E. F. Friedl )

-Ladd

--
| Ladd J Hebert <lhebert/@\ti.com> |