Re: Email Notification generated by Procmail

2003-07-05 15:34:29
At 23:57 2003-07-05 +0200, Eduard Warkentin did say:
I'm wondering wether it is possible to force Procmail to generate an email
for a dedicated user with a small log of procmail's last actions.

It would be very useful to me to me mailed by procmail to know to which
users mail was delivered after it processed mail.

The easiest way would be to write a shell script to simply email the procmail log to oneself (and at the same time, rotate the procmail log, so that those entries are not in the next message thus sent).

Otherwise, you have to add a date/size check on the logfile for each message which comes in (the only way procmail is simply going to be executed is when new mail arrvives), and even then, it's guaranteed to be in the middle of processig a message (which you could be when it's rotated by a shellscript, but at least you have the chance that it isn't). That's a lot of unnecessary overhead for each message to carry when you probably simply want to have the procmail log sent to you once a day or somesuch.

As to which users -- that sounds like you want to see a global picture of procmail events - but if the USERS individually are running their own .procmailrc files, then their own logging will occur once the message has passed from the /etc/procmailrc file (where I assume you'd be setting up this global procmail log). Unless your global procmailrc is doing the delivering (i.e. the user doesn't have their own procmailrc), you won't log what happens to the message after it leaves the global script.