Re: Subject Lines Headers.

2003-07-07 16:50:14
At 15:52 2003-07-07 -0700, multimedia-fan(_at_)myrealbox(_dot_)com wrote:
Anyone has received any legitimate emails with subject lines with the
ISO-8859-1 "encoding"?

I can't say that I really have, but if specifying the encoding is a legitimate practice when posting in other encodings, it is surely legitimate practice for the "default" encoding.

Note that there's a difference between apparently specifying ISO-8859-1 as a subject encoding, and say, mentioning it as part of a topic.

I performed a quick search of recent months email on my system (which is hardly an exhaustive search of my own email, or representative of the whole of the internet), and spotted ONE post on the MYSQL list which specified character encoding for ISO-8859-1.

There are of course, a number of messages with OTHER encodings, most of which I reject nowadays (see a post of mine from several months back re: character encodings).

For reference, the mailer in that MYSQL post was identified as:

While dcs.net is the same domain as the origin of the message itself, it's perhaps more significant to note that it's not an English-language site to start with, and thus explicitly defining the character set probably isn't that odd a thing for them to do.

Lots of spam lately come with headers like this:

Subject: =?ISO-8859-1<rest of subject line>.

Of course a recipe for filtering that out is very easy, but I am
wondering whether if it is a good idea to add that in my procmailrc.

1. Consider adding it anyway, then, rather than discarding the message as the action, emit a line to the log, then grep your log for these events. This is a COMMON approach to adding recipes to check for conditions which you are not positive of.

2. Set up the recipe in a sandbox and throw large quantities of saved email at it. This is why I retain my SPAM mailbox rather than simply discarding spam messages - they're useful when I want to check nonspam v. spam messsages against revised filters.

3. Look to the list archives for "SPAMMISHNESS". If your experience is that the messages you're receiving with this characteristic are spam, then rather than flagging it outright as spam, use it to "elevate" the spammishness of a message such that even just a few other characteristics will cause it to be classified as spam.