Re: whitelist

2003-07-15 12:25:42
At 14:54 2003-07-15 -0400, Dave Stern - Former Rocket Scientist wrote:
I've got a user who is misusing spamassassin as follows:
Only use it for its whitelist capability. (But wait, there's more...)

Uh, so you're saying that you're NOT using any other facilities of SA, just whitelisting?

If the "user" is doing this with their OWN email, why does it matter to you? Or is it (I can't quite follow the rest of your message) that the results of their own whitelist failures are causing SA to incorporate those messages into spam checks for OTHER users of your host? If so, sounds as if you have a major beef to take up with the SA development team so that they can fix this obvious security issue. The SA development team is over ------>> there.

So for people who generally only converse with a known, albeit lengthy and
perhaps not completely defined list addresses the question is, is there
a better way of filtering. I'm thinking just pull SA out of this equation
have a file with regexp addresses that procmail tests all in a single test
and be done with it.

Uh, you can certainly set up a whitelist in procmail, and the overhead will be considerably less than whatever SA is subjecting you to, but maintaining a whitelist is still _work_. Is this for a single USER, or for the whole HOST?

Hit the archives of this list (linked right from the procmail.org website), and search for whitelist or greenlist, and you'll find numerous hits, including some in the past week or two.