Changing the case of a variable

2003-07-16 03:00:33
I want to change the case of a variable that is created via a $MATCH to be all lowercase.

I couldn't find anything searching man pages at first, but eventually, after quite a lot of searching I found out that tr has lower and upper classes, so I tried:

NEWVAR=`echo $OLDVAR | tr "[:upper:]" "[:lower:]" `

Which works.

Now, is there a better way that doesn't involve calling echo and tr?

--
I said pretend you've got no money, she just laughed and said, 'Eh, you're so funny.' I said, 'Yeah? Well I can't see anyone else smiling in here.'