Re: Can I Do this?

2003-07-25 07:32:30
What I did was told the authorities that I could capture incoming with no
problem, but if they wanted me to reconfigure my entire system to capture
outgoing mail, then they were going to have to hire someone to come in and
help me with it.

I'll review your answer below, however, and see if it's viable to implement
in the near future.

Scott

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shashank V. Kolhatkar" <sv(_dot_)kolhatkar(_at_)idbi(_dot_)co(_dot_)in>
To: <procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE>
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 5:50 AM
Subject: Re: Can I Do this?

Hi Boss,

I was eagerly waiting for the responses you would get for your query.
Looks like experts have given their opinion and what all we know is
sendmail/procmail's inbound email capturing is very strong; it is good
enough if the TO or one of the TO/cc addresses belongs to your office's (on
LAN) email address BUT emails just bounce or untraceable if those are for
your enterprise's WAN or internet.

Let me tell you about myself, I am a newbie in sendmail/procmail, I have
Linux/sendmail/procmail and outlook express 5.0 at clients and I have been
facing similar scenario. Earlier I thought it was BCC route then the 8 bit
header route some 1 is sending information outside people which is costing
my organization.

I have developed work around way for this problem at which most of the
experts are going to scoff/laugh though it requires final touches.

it is some what like this.
---------------------------

any email which leaves your LAN has to be in a queue (mailq), be it 8 bit
header mail or bcc or wan/internet mail. So in sendmail.cf set MinQueueAge
to 6m,
Set DeliveryMode to deffered.  Now every email has to ferment in a queue.
I have tested this and it works fine.

Now run a shell which mailq | grep 'culprit'sID' | cut -c1-8  which will
give you Q-ID of culprit's email being fermented in the queue.
Next is cp *Q-ID from /var/spool/mqueue to a specific location.
autorun the above shell using 'at' command at interval of 5 minutes.

This way I have captured almost all the communication of culprit.
Only problem is, well I feel guilty of slowing down my email server due to
these over heads.
Truely speaking I am still touching up the settings to avoid mail delivery
as although 6 minutes delay is set, it is more than 30 minutes.

I shall be happy if experts do help us in touching up sendmail.cf for this
requirement.

Thanking you all for reading thru this un conventional solution,
best regards

ShashankK