Re: ---- in the mail box

2003-09-11 16:32:56
At 18:41 2003-09-11 -0400, Jacoub Sbaiti wrote:
But for instance I saw a mail box had one line only with the ----- in it as the first line and only line the mail box. I reviewed the log file with the user and she told that she received all the emails fine that were monitored in the log file.

I hope this give you better picture about my problem,

Not really. I now know, or have nothing more than a strong suspicion of the following:

* apparently the mailbox we're talking about isn't YOUR mailbox (a minour factoid not shared in the original message, which gave the strong impression that it was YOUR mailbox we were talking about).

* if the line is the ONLY line in the file (another new factoid, and somewhat contradictory to your original statement at it was merely always at the TOP of the file), surely the *DATESTAMP* of the file can be compared to the procmail log to see what message passed through around that time? Or, if this is a system mailbox, to the maillog to see when you last retrieved mail from the mailbox?

* You're probably not inspecting a VERBOSE logfile, which would have more details about what was filtered and which recipes took action, rather than being a From_, Subject, and delivery summary.

* I don't know if you're talking about the system mailbox, or a mailbox file that procmail has delivered a message to. In either case, how do you know that the problem isn't being caused by procmail and not some other program - from the users MUA or the IMAP/POP daemon?

* I don't know what's in your .procmailrc (or /etc/procmailrc, or whatever procmailrc you're blaming for this problem). Try searching it for lines of hyphens...