Re: procmail will not start (?!)

2003-09-17 14:10:49

Yeah, yeah, summaries are sunmanagers-esque, but its a hard habit to
break...

At last.  I found the damn thing.  It was an NFS lock file in /var/mail
that had a bogus name so the automatic cleanup that Solaris does didn't
find it.  It did not have "cbar" anywhere in it, so I did not either...
Apparently only procmail cared that it was there.

Christopher

Well, what was changed two weeks ago?

Nothing that I know of.  That is why this is so frustrating.

I suggest you try to find out what changed, because procmail doesn't simply
quit working of its own accord. Logfiles (MAILLOG is more significant here
than syslog unless you're really logging mail activity to syslog), and
'find' using the -ctime option are useful sources of information.

... and further down in the email you will see that one of the things I
tried was to compile the latest version of procmail and it did not
change anything.

And I'm advising that you should see to it that the newer version is used
in any case *AND* that the sendmail of the host be updated as appropriate.

The "whenever" solution is why so many systems on the net are insecure.

It is starting, but not doing anything and is not exiting.  If I try to
call procmail, I stop getting any mail of any sort.

If you try to call procmail from a .forward, as in, invoked by the MTA
during delivery.  But what if you invoke it manually:

         procmail -m ~.procmailrc < message

Of course I renamed it.  I didn't think such a trivial detail needed to
be included.

Well, you said you _deleted_ it.  I'm advising against such a thing.  In
any event, arguing against being advised about the proper way to do this
won't solve your problem.

That is why I am modifying one thing, seeing if it works, and then if it
does not I am modifying something else.  It is almost impossible to
diagnose a problem if you change more than one variable at a time.

Agreed - but altering files when you don't need to also complicates
matters, which is my point.

Yeah, but neither of these two users use their mail enough to realize
that something is screwed up.  But I believe it shows that the problem
is not localized to my personal environment.

Yea, I'd say so.  Unless they're running the same .procmailrc as yourself,
I'd say that the content of your .procmailrc isn't suspect, so there
shouldn't be need to tweak it...

six binaries.
[snip]

I note you descibe an NFS version of 3.13, but not of 3.22?

If you say NFS definatley isn't the problem, I'll just have to take your
word for it.

If it isn't a change to the sendmail config, and it isn't related to NFS,
I'm stumped.  Good luck.