Re: Scoring by size ???

2003-09-27 10:48:58
"David W. Tamkin" <dattier(_at_)panix(_dot_)com> [2003:09:27:11:38:03-0500]
scribed:
Michael Schleif has this code (I was hoping someone else would answer
this, because I'm not feeling so great lately, but nobody has, so he
reposted, and I'll handle it),

:0
*  -2^0
*   1^0 > 240000
*   1^0 > 140000
*   1^0 < 165000

with an action line that he didn't tell us.  He observed,

Now, in my logs I get this:

procmail: Score:      -2      -2 ""
procmail: Score:       1      -1 "> 240000"
procmail: Score:       1       0 "> 140000"
procmail: Score:       1       1 "< 165000"

Well, you raise any real to the power 0, you get 1.

What am I missing?

You're missing the experience of having read the procmailsc(5) man page,
I'd suppose.  You saw something about the way scores work on regexp
conditions and tried to get the same results from size tests.

First, let me apologize.  I have been researching many, many anti-virus
related techniques, including several procmail recipes.  I have run
across several recipes for swen that begin thusly:

   *  -2^0
   *   1^0 > 140000
   *   1^0 < 165000

Having tested some of them, I began to realize that the above does _not_
behave as I expected.  I am new to procmail scoring, and have made
several erroneous assumptions.  IMHO, man procmail[rs]c leave something
to be desired in clarity for the beginner; although, now that I have
digested the _Weighted length conditions_ section, I do understand it.

For the record, I wish that man procmailrc had a cautionary NOTE: near
the top, suggesting complexity if using variables in recipes.
Similarly, a NOTE: near top of man procmailsc should warn of exceptions
if using procmailrc features, such as message length.

Just my 2¢ . . .

Thank you, for pointing me to relevant manpages -- that is how I learn
best, even when -- at first -- I overlook the obvious ;>

--
Best Regards,

mds
-