character substitution in $VARIABLE

2003-11-07 02:00:09

Hi,

In my main mailing list recipe I capture the list name in a FOLDER
variable. Some list names (eg: users.lists.freeswan.org) have dots in
them which does not play well with the courrier imap server, so I'd like
to convert these dots to dashes (eg: users-lists-freeswan-org)
preferably without using sed. What would be the best solution?

Thanks,

--
maybe the day we die Gawd will send us all to hell, we will ask him why,
he'll just reply "WHY??? what do you mean, 'WHY?' ??!! argh! RTFBible !!!