Re: whitelists based on domain only

2003-11-19 05:58:53
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Dallman Ross wrote:

       | egrep -is -f ${FILTERDIR}/whitelist

formail hands me the full address in the To: or From: or Whatever: field

The approach is fraught with several problems, and must be approached
with caution.  One problem is that you will undermatch.  For example,
without word boundaries, my own address in the whitelist -- dman --
would match against variants such as friedman, haldman, feldman, etc., etc.

        I think that if the list is sorted by  -u -f flags:

sort -u -f  listfile

        Then, you can use the command look(1) instead of *grep
        It is faster:

look  doma-in.here.org listfile

        The command look(1) is looking in the list for the strings that
        _START_ with the string that you gave.  So, for domain names it
        is O.K. because the name of domains are ended bye specific keywords.
        For example, the domain  *.gov  will not confuse with  *.governor
        The bad side of look is the return code - it is always 0.

Bye,
 Udi

If you are going to use grep, I'd recommend grep or fgrep, not egrep,
to eliminate regexes where they can only be trouble.  ("ne.com" becomes
"netcom", etc.)  I'd also use the -x option or at least -w to my grep.
And  you probably want the -e flag, because some things you capture
and feed to grep will cause problems otherwise.

--
dman