Re: can formail -D be used with other headers?

2003-11-21 14:28:04
At 18:52 2003-11-21 +0000, John Conover wrote:

Can formail -D be used with other headers, like checking In-Reply-To:
or References: against an Message-ID: idcache?

Not 'zactly, though you can play some tricks if you preserve the original messageid, then CHANGE it, run formail, and then change it back.

As per the manpage, using -r tells it to use the envelope sender, but that's not what you're asking for here.

I certainly believe that it'd be nice to have advanced idcache options, including being able to specify a header (or provide the data directly on the commandline). For instance, a series of mailing lists which I do mail administration for has a message identifier token for some web generated messages, sort of a signature of the body and author information, intended to track duplicates (when a user thinks their message didn't post and sends it again), but we don't use formail to cache that info.

At the point that you have to get a header content and rewrite a header in order to use formail, it becomes beneficial to just roll your own checking utility and do it right from the original message.