Re: Procmail help request with recipe and errors.

2003-12-05 12:41:21
On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 stucker(_at_)tacticallysound(_dot_)com wrote:

[...] Spam assassin is working, at least for real accounts
(not virtual aliases). The only real problem is the weird error messages in
the log file (which is keeping me up at nights).

[...] what is wrong with my recipe that I get the weird spamassassin
error? "Cannot write to /dev/null/.spamassassin/user_prefs: Not a
directory". Does this look like a Procmail error or a Spamassassin error?

It's a spamassassin error.  "man spamassassin":

       The user preferences (such as scores to attach to each
       rule), are loaded from the file specified in the -p
       argument.  If this is not specified,
       ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs is used if it exists.
-->    spamassassin will create this file if it does not exist,    <--
       using user_prefs.template as a template.

Obviously it can't find /dev/null as a directory, but why is it even
looking there?

Virtual users apparently have HOME=/dev/null in your setup.

The second issue I have is how do I get Procmail to filter virtual address's
(if it's even possible). It seems that when sendmail is done processing the
virtual address, Procmail never even sees it unless the alias in the
virtusertable points to a local account. This is probably because Procmail
is the local delivery agent and only gets invoked on local deliveries eh?

Bingo.

Is there anyway to force procmail to scan all email that passes through
the system, not just email that is local?

Yes; create a real home directory for virtual users instead of using a
non-directory file, place an appropriate .procmailrc file in that
directory, and have virtusertable direct the mail into a pipe to procmail
instead of forwarding it directly to the target address.

The "appropriate .procmailrc" would end by forwarding to the target
address, which could be passed to procmail as an argument in virtusertable
(I believe).  See the sendmail docs for the necessary virtuser syntax.