Re: process a message independently for each recipient

2003-12-15 10:40:35
At 15:29 2003-12-15 +0100, Jan Stary wrote:
Hi list,

how do I specify a procmailrc recipe to process a message independently
for each recipient? For example, saying

[snip - typical attempt at using procmail as an MTA]

Is there a clean way to handle this in ~/.procmailrc/

Procmail is not an MTA. You're going to be dissappointed when you try to use it as one. Your MTA (Sendmail|Postfix|Exim|Qmail|etc) is given the ENVELOPE recipients separate from the message itself. Unless configured to do so, your MTA doesn't pass this information along - and even when it is, it often won't when there are multiple recipients at your domain.

Consider: what happens when a message is sent to Jack, but Bcc:'d to Jill? Or, when it is a list message from a list that both users are subscribed to?

Insofar as procmail is concerned, THE recipient of the message is the user account to which it was delivered.