Re: What have I done now?

2003-12-15 14:12:56
On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 14:26, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

If the header is X-BOB:, include the colon, as it'll properly differentiate
it from "X-BOBETTE: or whatever.  Additionally, ".*" at the end of a regexp
has ABSOLUTELY NO PURPOSE, unless used in a $MATCH construct.  ".*" is zero
or more, so abolutely NOTHING will satisfy it - and if that's the case, why
bother looking for anything?  It's a different matter to have .* in the
middle or beginning of a regexp (though, so long as you don't anchor a
regexp with ^, there's no need to have .* at the very beginning either).

I think it is interesting how regular expressions are pretty well
defined (for the most part) but the implementation of them varies from
program to program.

I Perl, Sed, etc..

^Bob will only grep a sentence with

"Bob\n"

In order to get something that starts with Bob and contains characters
passed that.

Such as

"Bob and Sue"

you need

^Bob.*

which means Bob and zero or more of any other character that is not a
newline (.*)

Ask yourself why you're creating an X-(whatever) header.  If it's for
looping, you should be using X-Loop:, since certain tools have SPECIFIC
support for retaining that on replies.

I don't want to really go into the purpose on the Procmail list. Suffice
to say it solves a corporate problem.

[snip]

--
Nick (Nix) Gray