Re: Error while writing to ...

2003-12-15 20:17:15
At 01:09 2003-12-16 +0000, Alan Clifford wrote:
I'm trying to determine the source of the error message in the 3rd entry
in the log below.  The recipe and program are working despite the error
message.

Ya know, debugging is often easier when you set VERBOSE=ON. When you don't understand what's going wrong, that should be the first thing you do.

I've turned on verbose logging and am waiting for the next virus.  The
first entry is a test email, the second an ordinary spam and the third is
a virus.  I was expecting the test and the virus to be handled in a
similar manner.  The virus email is relatively large, being 102k in size.

As identified in the delivery abstract (it's the numeric trailing the subject line).

Try adding 'i' to the recipe flags. My gut feeling is that "mell" terminates before reading the entire message from STDIN. Since the problem message is a large one, either it might be passing some internal match limit and terminating early, or simply doesn't read the full message (parsing for MIME or somesuch). Even if it terminates early on the smaller messages, they may be below the write buffer size and therefore procmail doesn't sense a read error.

This is the recipe where the program "mell" checks to see if it has seen a
500 byte token before, and returns the number of occurances on stdout. The
token is output on stderr. More than 3 occurances and it is bit bucket
time.

Sound interesting.  Where do the initial 500 byte tokens come from?