Re: procmail and stdin from /proc

2004-01-25 17:18:06
At 15:08 2004-01-25 -0800, Curtis Doty wrote:
Can anyone explain why this rc snippet:

FOO=`< /proc/loadavg`

Procmail itself isn't a shell, so the redirection operator isn't meaningful. If I read this correctly, you're in effect running a shell, and redirecting the contents of loadavg into that shell, which results in nothing (on STDOUT at least -- STDERR is a different matter). Try:

        sh < /proc/loadavg

and see what you get.

        sh < /proc/loadavg > somefile

somefile will contain what procmail would bave been handed.