Re: Placing specific header into variable

2004-04-09 13:45:24
Toen ik Dallman Ross kietelde, kwam er dit uit:
Ruud H.G. van Tol:

    :0
    * ^\/Subject[  ]*:.*
    { var = $MATCH }

This month marks the first time I've ever seen anyone propose
whitespace before the :.  Is that permitted in the RFCs?  Has
anyone ever seen a legit mail so sent (and not specifically
hand-concocted for the purpose of proving it can be done)?

I put it there as a definitive answer. All the others are already
in the archives. :-)

It's in the obsolete-sections (not the obsolete sections) of
  http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html

4.5. Obsolete header fields
[...] Also, any amount of white space is allowed
   before the ":" at the end of the field name.

Of course it would be nice if procmail would correct this
for you, just as it unfolds, to make matching easier.
I have not tested whether it does.

The unfolding as performed by procmail is AFAIK not RFC 2822
compliant (see 2.2.3) because procmail replaces the NL by a
space where it should just remove it, but that causes no
known problems either. <g>

So theoretically an old message could contain:

-----------
Subject
 :
 Caster-0i1