Re: Forwarding changes the From and Return-Path: headers

2004-06-09 06:21:10
At 10:58 2004-06-09 +0000, John Conover wrote:

When forwarding, like:

    :0
    !someone(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com

procmail, (or the MTA,) changes the "From " and "Return-Path: "
headers to the user ID and FQDN of the owner of the procmail
process.

Is there a way to stop procmail from doing this?

It's the MTA. If you ran the recipe in a sandbox, you'd see that the message text that procmail hands off to sendmail is unaltered.

You could grab the envelope sender address and hand it to sendmail with the -f parameter, though sendmail (if configured securely) is likely to insert a warning into the headers.

:0
! address -f $ORIGINAL_ENVELOPE

The fact is, the original author isn't responsible for having sent it to the address you're forwarding it to, so it seems rather wrong to stick them with the bounce if your forward doesn't work.