Re: Tip: Simultaneously file a message in an IMAP mailbox and assign a Gmail label

2004-07-20 12:20:35
On 20 Jul 2004 Udi Mottelo (uuddii(_at_)eng(_dot_)tau(_dot_)ac(_dot_)il) wrote:
have an easy way to simultaneously:

* redirect (bounce forward) a message to Gmail and have it labeled
with a label named FOO

* save it in an IMAP mailbox named FOO

        I'm not sure that I understand.  Do you save the message in
        two accounts?  One (gmail) will give you lable and the second
        with no lable?  Why the duplication?

Hi Udi,

Yes I'm saving the message in two accounts because I'm not sure I'm actually going to switch to using Gmail. And even if I do switch to Gmail, it's nice to have a backup copy of all my saved important messages.

in a Gmail filter "To" means "To: or Cc:".

        I don't like to change the original fields in the header
        can gmail's filter find other strings from the headr?  So,
        you will able to add "X-..." field instead of fake "Cc:" ?

I don't like to change orignal headers either (and that's why I'm using 'formail -A' instead of '-I' or '-i') but so far I haven't found many headers that Gmail can filter on. It would be great if a Gmail filter could filter on the Delivered-To header since that's where the Gmail MTA puts the original envelope recipient. But currently you can't filter on that. I've actually ranted a bit about this on some Gmail discussion groups.

If anyone knows more about Gmail filters, please post.

Thanks,
Nancy
Infinite Ink
www.ii.com