Re: What exactly does \< expand to?

2004-07-28 20:46:53
* David W. Tamkin <dattier(_at_)panix(_dot_)com> [2004-07-28 20:13]:

but AFAIK any <CR><LF> pair has been reduced to <LF> by the time a
message gets to procmail.

I don't believe that.  At least in the case of processing old Wintel
Eudora Pro archives, mail that has a <CR><LF> persists through both
formail and procmail, and ends up getting delivered that way.  For
this reason I created the following recipe:

  :0 hbfw
  * REFILTER_OLD_MAIL ?? true
  | dos2unix

I don't like testing against "true" in the above recipe, because I
know procmail has defined a constant that includes: true, on, yes, 1,
etc.  Anyone know if that's purely internal to procmail, or can I
declare a boolean and make use of it somehow?

BTW- thanks for clearing things up on the \< metacharacter.  It's
interesting to find that hyphens are treated differently than
underscores, when both usually tend to act as connectors.