Re: Robust date code (year extraction)

2004-07-29 16:27:55
On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:06:40PM -0600, Justin Gombos wrote:
* Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com> [2004-07-28 15:39]:

Well, that's kind of screwy, frankly, and misapprehends some of the
implicit value of the approach I initially suggested to you.

I don't get what you're saying here.  I believe my version will always
have the exact same result as yours.  I felt that for simply
extracting the date, I did not want to have three or four seperate
recipes, so I encapsulated them into a single recipe.

[snip]

I think ultimately the most readable code for doing Date: extractions
is to use GNU date, which is likely what I will switch to in the end.

Well, first you say you wanted one hairy recipe; then you say you
want readability.  Readability is far more important.  That's why
I used three recipes.  If you want, you can take the spaces out
from between them.  Then they will look like one!

   :0 # recipe 1
   * conditions
   { ASSIGNMENT=$MATCH }
   :0 E # recipe 2
   * conditions
   { ASSIGNMENT=$MATCH }
   :0 # recipe 3
   * conditions
   { ASSIGNMENT=$MATCH }

(If I recall correctly, my middle recipe had an "else" flag; so I
put one in here.)  You can even use funny indentation.  I used to
do that:

   :0 # recipe 1
   * conditions
   { ASSIGNMENT=$MATCH }