Bizarre behaviour with $ variable substitution with pipe-command-pipe (autoresponder)

2004-09-21 12:06:34
I apologize if this is duplicated, I am not sure if my subscription
went through on the first one.
---
Hi all, thank you for taking a moment. I've downloaded the doc
tarball, read in many online sources, looked at procmail and
procmailex manpages, but can't find a solution to the problem I'm
having....

My system is running:
Slackware 10.0
Procmail 3.22 (installed from source)
Sendmail 8.13.1 (installed from source)

My issue is in trying to setup a SIMPLE autoresponder. All I want is
to check a file (autores text file) and send an auto-response if that
file exists. For simplicity and troubleshooting I've removed the file
check for now, and am attempting to just send a carbon auto-response
to ALL email running through my procmailrc file.

As a note, everything else in my procmail file works perfectly I have
spamassassin setup and working, an a "nobounce" whitelist setup that
is working perfectly as well... I've placed the auto-responder code
OUTSIDE and ABOVE everything else, so it runs first and shouldn't have
any interference from other pieces of code. Here it is:

:0 hc
| ($FORMAIL -rk -A "X-Loop: jlyman(_at_)flyerplus(_dot_)com" \
-A "Precendence: junk"; \
$CAT ${MAILDIR}/jlyman.txt ) | $SENDMAIL -t -oi

Now, in my verbose log I grep for "Executing", so see the output of
everything that is run from my procmailrc:

procmail: Executing " ($FORMAIL -rk -A "X-Loop: jlyman(_at_)flyerplus(_dot_)com"
-A "Precendence: junk"; $CAT ${MAILDIR}/jlyman.txt ) | $SENDMAIL -t
-oi"
procmail: Executing
"/var/www/sysbin/test,-f,/var/spool/mail/.nobounce-jlyman.hometour"
procmail: Executing "spamassassin"
procmail: Executing "/var/www/sysbin/formail,-AX-Loop:
jlyman(_at_)flyerplus(_dot_)com"

You will note that ALL of my executing lines have had the variables
substituted for the commands, such as "/var/www/sysbin/test" and
"/var/www/sysbin/formail". They are using the same variable names.
From troubleshooting I've found that this substitution error only
happens when I have two pipes, as I do in the autoresponder portion.

I have tried specifying the commands with full paths explicitly, and
have tried NUMEROUS other things, but to no avail. Any help anyone
might be able to offer would be GREATLY appreciated.