Re: Trying to redefine the system-wide mailbox

2004-09-29 12:41:01
Martin,

Thanks for the response.

At 14:36 +0100 9/29/04, Martin McCarthy wrote:
 > I discovered that nothing went to the log file and procmail attempted
 to deliver to /var/mail/spool. It appears that procmail is ignoring
 this file. So, the first question is:

 - Does procmail not process the /etc/procmailrc file when it is
 acting as the LDA?

It does if your MTA isn't invoking procmail with the '-p' flag and don't
specify a particular rcfile to use.  How's your mail daemon invoking
procmail?

Ok. Admission of user failure. I am not sure what happened but there were entries in the log file after all. I think the problem may have been that DEFAULT was accidentally set to "/afs/@cell/common/spool/mail/$LOGNAME" instead of "/afs/@cell/common/spool/mail/$LOGNAME/$LOGNAME".

Am I correct in assuming that if procmail can't find the DEFAULT that you set in procmailrc it reverts back to the compiled in default?

Also (sorry if this is an insultingly dumb question) are you absolutely
sure that the machine that is doing the mail delivery is the one with
the /etc/procmailrc file?

Don't worry, I'm not insulted. I have been known to miss the obvious before. [See above :-} ] I am sure, however, that the machine with the procmailrc is the same one that is delivering.

 > This almost works but I still need to add "/$logname". So, this leads
 me to the next question:

 - Is there a way to make this happen using autoconf or by a "simple"
 modification of the code (I assume in authenticate.c)? Hacking the
 code on my own is a bit tough since my C skills are practically
 non-existent.

This assumes I've understood what you need, is completely untested, use
at your own risk, etc, etc.  But you can try changing these lines in
authenticate.c (lines 190 to 204 in my copy):

[snipped code]

Bingo. Your modification does exactly the right thing! Many thanks.

-David-

BTW: Thanks for writing the book. It has been very helpful.

--
David R. Steiner
david(_dot_)r(_dot_)steiner(_at_)dartmouth(_dot_)edu