Re: setting up procmail

2004-11-05 10:03:24
At 03:08 2004-11-06 +1100, Kamal Naouri did say:
The main question that are confusing me are -
1) how does procmail work upon recieving and email? does it run automatically, or do I have to setup a script or another program to call it?

Either it is invoked as the LDA (stating what your MTA is would be a good start), or if not, then it's invoked on a per-user basis via a .forward file or an MTA alias.

You should refer to the documentation for your MTA. Sendmail for instance has an M4 directive for using procmail as the LDA. I can't speak for postfix, exim, qmail, etc.

2) since the server would have nobody logged onto it, where should the procmailrc file be? better still, what exactly should the file contain?

If your users don't have shell account and wouldn't presumably be able to manipulate their own procmailrc files, then you need a systemwide procmailrc: /etc/procmailrc, or depending upon your architecture, /usr/local/etc/procmailrc

Try invoking 'man procmail'