Re: all In one

2005-01-11 13:39:29
At 21:57 2005-01-11 +0200, Aaron wrote:
The story is like this. I set up procmail to sort mail to various
folders, but the mail all arrives in the Inbox.

my first problem is conceptual:

Your first problem should be whether you're actually invoking procmail properly.

I write a recipe in procmail an email arrives and goes to where?

That rather depends upon what MTA you have, what it's set up to deliver to for the local delivery, and if you're using a .forward file to invoke procmail.

in my old email client (evolution), it arrived in my inbox I right clicked on the email and choose create a filer from the mail then I choose for list
or from or cc or whatever and viola I had a filter,so;

conceptually the manner of filtering (in my mind) is that the mail
first comes to the inbox and then evolution moves it to the place I
want.

Evolution is a mail client. I would suppose that it RETRIEVES the mail, then sorts it into some mailbox. Procmail is a tool that should normally be invoked during the local delivery of the message, before your MUA has anything to do with the message. You could for example forward email messages to an account somewhere else and *NEVER* actually log into the mail account here with an MUA, and procmail would manage forwarding it off as each message arrives.

 think that with procmail the idea is that the mail is taken from the
server and run through procmail/spamassasin

procmail is unaffiliated with spamassassin. If your host has SA installed, it is quite possible that there's a hardcoded delivery following that which may bypass your local .procmailrc file.

maybe the problem is that procmail isn't being accessed? how do I
check this (running debian)

well, a LOGFILE would help. Hit the link in my .sig and read a few of the things there, and retrieve the procdiag script.

Running a procmail rcfile standalone BEFORE making it a live procmailrc is a really good idea -- that would allow you to see it working BEFORE subjecting all your actual email to it.

SHELL=/bin/bash

Unnecessary to set unless you don't HAVE a shell (which is unlikely if you're able to log in), or if you're working on an /etc/procmailrc file which may process mail for other users who do not have shells.

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:

PATH generally doesn't need to be set, unless you're adding stuff not normally available to your default shell.

VERBOSE=off

this is wrong setting if you're trying to figure out what is wrong.

MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
LOGFILE=$HOME/Mail/procmaillog

Does $HOME/Mail _exist_?  Is it writeable?

DEFAULT=$HOME/Mail/Inbox

This is different from "inbox" in the sense of the default system mailbox (in the mail spool). If your mail is in fact arriving in this mailbox file, then procmail must surely be receiving it.

# Nuke duplicate messages
:0 Wh: msgid.lock
| $FORMAIL -D 8192 msgid.cache

does this msgid.cache file exist?  If so, this recipe must be getting invoked.

:0 c
backup

does the backup mailbox exist? BTW, you should have a lock flag on the flags line...

:0:
^TO(_dot_)emacs-nxml-mode(_at_)yahoogroups(_dot_)com
nxml

The condition line here lacks an asterisk, plus a dot all by itself is a SINGLE ANY character - you should also escape the dot you want interpreted as an actual dot.