Re: Groking log files (was Re: Impossibly complex problem)

2005-01-17 18:51:38
Toen wij Justin Gombos kietelden, kwam er dit uit:
Ruud H.G. van Tol:

I've decided to make use of the $$ variable,
but I've decided to use it to name the log file itself.  The beginning
of my main script now begins with the following (abridged) code:

  PROCESSED_YEAR = `date +"%Y"` #year
  PROCESSED_WOY  = `date +"%V"` #week of year

That can also be done with 1 date-call and some MATCH-ing.

In stead of WOY you could use the month and the tens of the
daynumber within the month, like (01..09) --> 0, (10..19) --> 1,
(20..31) --> 2. Then you would not need any date-call at all,
because you can derive these from the From_header.

  LOGDIR  = $HOME/logs/procmail_${PROCESSED_YEAR}-$PROCESSED_WOY/

  # Ensure the existance of LOGDIR
  :0 c
  *$ ! ? test -d $LOGDIR
  | mkdir $LOGDIR

  LOGFILE = $LOGDIR/$$.log

This is tricky. A recipe with a c-flag runs in parallel, so I guess
it doesn't need to have finished before $LOGDIR is used to set LOGFILE.

I am not really sure that that is a problem, but if it is, I would do
something like:

   # Ensure the existance of LOGDIR
   :0   # look ma, no c-flag
   *$ ! ? test -d "$LOGDIR"