Re: How To Extract.

2005-04-09 11:27:33
At 18:55 2005-04-08 -0700, multimedia-fan(_at_)myrealbox(_dot_)com wrote:
How do you extract the top level domain name from the sender's email
address?

For example

 From: "Firstname Lastname" <username(_at_)subdomain(_dot_)address(_dot_)com>

I would like to match the address.com info a variable.

Er, keep in mind that TLDs are not limited to just the two Right-Hand most tokens - ISO based national TLDs may be two or three, and there's no telling when: demon.co.uk, or somedumbshow.tv

You might look to use 'host' (a DNS tool, external from procmail) in some fashion. For instance:

host -t SOA host.domain.tld

If it returns null, then you're probably at a host level specification, and should trim one more token off the LHS and try again. You could issue a command like so:

host -v host.domain.tld

and grab the first line beyond ";; AUTHORITY SECTION" (which may be a tag specific to your implementation of 'host'). That'd be one query operation, and you could parse the TLD from there (presuming that the host itself is valid).

Either way, I could see a problem with a delegated subdomain (such as a large corporation or university might have - engineering.someuniverity.edu and polysci.someuniversity.edut might be wholly delegated from someuniversity.edu, so their logical "TLD" in this respect is their respective subdomain).