\/ is driving me insane

2005-04-12 14:02:38
This \/ construction in procmail is costing more time than some simple
bash string manipulations are worth... Matching simple strings to the
right is bad enough, when there are alternatives the thing turns to
custard. (Minor point: the man pages provide insufficient info to be
able to use \/.)

How can I remove a portion from the Subject: value which matches $RE?
As in
        Subject: LEFT${RE}RIGHT
to become
        Subject: LEFTRIGHT
Obtaining the right-hand part is the easy bit. Relatively speaking
anyway, if the right-hand part is empty the thing goes bust again. How
do I get the left-hand part though? The different greedynesses are a
k.o. if $RE matches more than once. I could do it a lot faster in gawk,
despite the fact that I'd have to take care of header unfolding/folding
myself. Unfortunately gawk isn't so portable though I increasingly don't
care (it's Linux or nothing), and sed is useless (no egrep). Mind you, a
barebasic Solaris awk is equally useless.

Are there any good options, other than finding something better than
procmail? Are there any bad options?

Thanks for pointers...

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.