Re: no challenge, but should spammers be blacklisted?

2005-07-27 15:30:50
Lloyd Standish:

Once spam is positively identified as
 coming from a given SERVER-IP, then all mail coming from that server
could automatically be assigned a degree of suspicion.

No, that is already done at the SMTP-level. Read about DNSBL.

The human-greylisting I propose, works on the triple, not on any of the
elements apart. It comes after a lot of other filtering, that will
already get rid of 80% or more of the unwanted messages.

I understand that the envelope SMTP-MAIL-FROM might easily be forged,
the same as the message headers - correct?

Yes, but that won't matter much. Most messages with faked addresses will
already be either SMTP-Rejected (by any of the Sendmail milters) or
filtered out by SpamAssassin (most on DCC_CHECK or some URIBL_xx_BL
status).

(I'm receiving list mails in digest mode, so I can't make my replies
follow threads, sorry.)

Better change that. formail can split up digests.
See also news://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.procmail

--
Grtz, Ruud