Re: Using Formail to remove headers

2005-07-31 14:10:06
On Sunday, July 31, 2005 5:49 PM
<mjwise(_at_)kapu(_dot_)net> wrote:

To keep things tidy I also remove a few non-essential headers.
I hope you never have to do any diagnostics.

For what I'm doing, I don't think I will ever require diagnostics.

Build a special filter in PERL, and pipe the message thru that.

*makes a not to learn PERL one day*.

In short, not knowing what you are really doing, my suspicion is
you're making your life too complex for no good reason.

Ok, perhaps if I explain what I'm doing it will help.

I own my own domain (rowyerboat.com), so I can use specific addresses for
specific things, one for Procmail, one for Mailtraq, and multiple throw-away
ones when I'm registering somewhere I think I might get spam from (or I can
just track which sources I get spam from).

So, depending on where I am posting to, I need to set the From: address and
simply remove the Reply-To: address.  For better or for worse, I'm using OE
which doesn't have the capability to change things like this, and there is
also the fact that I need to post to these groups from a different account
(eg. at work), where I have no control over such headers changes.

The method I have chosen to overcome my problems, is send a message to my
own domain (eg. procmail-support(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com).  If the procmail
recipe
matches on that address, it will do the following:

a) set the From: address to procmail(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com
b) set the To: address to this list
c) Remove the Reply-To: header
d) Remove a customer header
e) Pipe the output to Sendmail

The message then appears as if it were from procmail(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com
and allows
me to post a message to this group from any network as long as I can send
mail to myself.

Currently, I remove all Received: headers as a courtesy to others, but I ws
thinking I don't actually need any header except To:, From:, Subject: and
anything to do with MIME.

So, the million dollar question, how to remove all headers except the above?

Thanks,
Steve :)