Re: .procmailrc without home dir

2005-08-23 09:02:25
At 15:25 2005-08-23 +0200, Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz wrote:

Hello,

I have a server where users doesn't have home directories - only mail boxex.

So, I'd like to be able to put users .procmailrc files in a common directory,
where, say /var/users/procmailrcs, and name them, e.g. procmailrc.$USER.

Is it possible ? And how ?

Well, how is your MTA delivering to the user mailboxes?  Are they "virtual
pop" or somesuch, or real local users (say, present in the /etc/passwd
file).  If the former, you're likely going to need to examine your virtual
pop setup for some way to invoke procmail (if not, you might end up having
to invoke procmail from MTA aliases for EACH USER).  If they're real users,
you could try using the /etc/procmailrc file to do generic stuff, followed
by something like:

         DROPPRIVS=YES
         SWITCHRC=/some/path/$LOGUSER.procmailrc

or something to that effect

Provided your delivery is even invoking procmail, you could hack procmail
(it IS distributed as source code).