Re: procmail for root user

2005-09-27 06:56:36
On Sep 27, Pieter Donche
(nospam-Pieter(_dot_)Donche(_at_)ua(_dot_)ac(_dot_)be(_dot_)ns) typed:

Pieter:  On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Cerebus the Aardvark wrote:
Pieter:
Pieter:  > On 9/26/05, Pieter Donche
<Pieter(_dot_)Donche(_at_)ua(_dot_)ac(_dot_)be> wrote:
Pieter:  >> setup:
Pieter:  >> # cd /
Pieter:  >> # mkdir .procmail
Pieter:  >> # chmod 700 .procmail
Pieter:  >
Pieter:  > Are you sure the / is root's home?  On my systems it's been years and
Pieter:  > years since root's $HOME was set to /.  It's normally /var/root/ on
my
Pieter:  > machines, for example (OS X, FreeBSD).
Pieter:  >
Pieter:  > try cd ~root instead
Pieter:
Pieter:  / is what is in the /etc/passwd file for the user root
Pieter:  cd ~root puts one into /
Pieter:
Pieter:  Pieter

Yes, Solaris 9 puts root at / .  I never quite understood it and when I
changed it on my Solaris 9 box vipw whines.

Pieter:  First, to avoid losing email I would suggest you edit your
.forward file

-----
root,|/home/local/bin/procmail
-----

So that way it'll at least keep a copy in your INBOX.
(odd location for a binary, imo)

And I would change the procmailrc to write to a local file, rather than
forwarding the message.
-----
:0:
/Procmail_test
-----

Second, have you look in /var/log for a procmail log file?
(I dont think I compiled it to log there ...)
It could be possible that procmail is still logging there.

 Thanks
 Birl