Re: default=in ignored

2005-10-27 11:32:03
On 10/27/05, Hanspeter Roth <hampi(_at_)rootshell(_dot_)be> wrote:
However when I'm using the mutt MUA locally I have the mutt
assignment sendmail=/usr/bin/procmail.

You simply can't do that, unless the local machine has exactly one
user and that user is you [*].  Procmail has to be able to change user
identities to the identity of the user being delivered-to, and when
started that way from mutt it won't have the necessary privileges to
perform that change of identity.

[*] Or unless you have set the permissions on /usr/bin/procmail to
make it setuid root, in which case you've created a rather significant
security problem.

Furthermore, sendmail can accept multiple recipient addresses on the
command line, but procmail cannot.  Procmail is *not* a drop-in
replacement for sendmail's mail submission mode.  (An apt analogy I
just saw on another mailing list: If one is asked to make a turkey
into a mechanism for delivering mail from the US to Japan, the only
answer is to give up because the project is doomed to failure.)

In this environment mail is delivered to /var/mail/user instead to
~/mail/in. It seems that ~/.procmailrc is ignored.

If procmail is not able to change user identity, the value of $HOME in
$HOME/.procmailrc will be the home directory of the *sender* rather
than of the *recipient*.