Re: Processing order of procmailrc

2005-11-08 10:55:34
At 13:03 2005-11-08 -0300, Alejandro Cabrera Obed wrote:
Hi people,

I have a /etc/procmailrc with this content in this order:

procmailrc is processed sequentially, top down.

:0: #locking required
*^Subject:.*\[VIRUS]*\
$HOME/virus

SYNTAX ALERT: the TRAILING \ on the condition line means that the following
line is a CONTINUATION of the condition.  As a result, it also means that
the action line of this recipe isn't what you expect it to be, nevermind
that the condition will undoubtedly never match any of your
mail.  Additionally, the trailing * is inappropriate, and you've not
properly escaped the closing bracket:

Perhaps you should try setting VERBOSE=ON, and having a logfile?  There's a
lot to be learned from checking the diagnostics which procmail will report.

:0: #locking required
*^Subject:.*\[\*\*SPAM\*\*\]
$HOME/spam

Suppose I receive a mail tagged with [VIRUS] by my clamav, and also this
mail is considered as spam by my Spamassassin.

Where does this mail go ??? To the virus or spam folder ???

The first encountered recipe whose condition actually matches.  Excepting
for the glaring syntax error, that would be the virus folder, but if you
set up a logfile, you'll see that procmail isn't matching on the first
recipe.  At that point, the message is delivered, and the remaining recipes
are not so much as evaluated (unless you're running with the 'c' flag on
recipes, in which case if a c-flagged recipe matches, a COPY of the message
is processed, and the original continues to be processed through the rest
of the procmailrc, but that isn't the case with your configuration).

Does procmail process the /etc/procmail the instructions ordered from top to
bottom or what ???

/etc/procmailrc

Top to bottom, just like all the procmail rcfiles.  If an INCLUDERC is
used, the contents of that rcfile are processed before continuing to the
line following the INCLUDERC.