Re: Need to compile procmail with Maildir support

2005-11-23 13:28:23
TjL:
Michael J Wise:
TjL:

I wish to compile my own version which will use Maildir not mbox as
default
and dump to ~/Maildir/ if anything goes wrong.

Put something like this at the top of your .procmailrc file:

DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

i've done that but I'm worried that it will still fall back to
/var/mail/ if there's an error, as opposed to giving a temp error
delivery code.

See also ORGMAIL in procmailrc(5):

ORGMAIL               /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME
Usually  the  system  mailbox  (ORiGinal MAILbox).  If, for
some obscure reason (like `filesystem full') the mail could
not  be  delivered,  then  this  mailbox  will  be the last
resort.  If procmail fails to save the mail in here  (deep,
deep  trouble  :-),  then  the mail will bounce back to the
sender.

So start your .procmailrc with

  ORGMAIL = "$HOME/Maildir/"
  DEFAULT = $ORGMAIL

or maybe better with

  ORGMAIL = "$HOME/mailproblems"
  DEFAULT = "$HOME/Maildir/"

or

  ORGMAIL = "/tmp/$HOME_mailproblems"
  DEFAULT = "$HOME/Maildir/"

and let an external process look for that mbox and call you when it
appears.

--
Grtz, Ruud